Walking is a great form of daily exercise that can help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions to help you establish a walking-for-exercise program:
· Walk at your usual pace for about 5 minutes, then speed it up to where your heart is beating faster and you feel like you're inhaling more air. Keep up this pace for about 15 minutes. Repeat your warm-up pace for another 5 minutes.
· Always wear a sturdy pair of shoes that offer good arch and heel support.
· While you walk, remember to let your arms swing.
· Walk with your toes pointing straight ahead.
· Flatten your abdomen, straighten your back, and walk with your head up.
· Walk briskly and with long strides, but make sure your stride is comfortable.