Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Omaha Police Dept. Makes Resolution to Stay Fit

“Losing weight, getting in shape and eating better. Those are all part of our New Year's resolutions. But one police department is taking it to a whole new level. Omaha's finest is getting a little healthier for 2009. ‘Everybody wants to stay in shape for the job we do. The better health you have, the longer you live so it's changing your lifestyle,’ said John Francavilla. Omaha Police Officer John Francavilla is just one of 200 officers joining in this year's weight loss challenge. ‘I noticed I was getting a little out of shape and I'm in the middle 40s and planning a cruise so I thought I might as well use this as an excuse to work out and get back into shape,’ said Francavilla. The challenge starts with a weigh in and a body fat test. At the end of the three months, the person who loses the biggest percentage of their weight wins. The winner gets a free one year membership to Prarie Life Fitness and money. Officers say that's extra motivation to get them healthy. ‘I'm in it to win it, I'm not messing around. Hopefully I win it and if not, it's a lot of fun to compete with your peers and have that camaraderie with the department,’ said Amy Otter. It's that comaraderie health experts say will help the officers achieve their weight loss goal. ‘I know they compete so I wouldn't be surprised if there are friendly wagers going back and forth,’ said Justin Rudlinger. Wagers some officers say they'll make when the time is right. ‘A little smack talking going on but no wagers,’ said Otter. ’I'm sure there are going to be a few steak dinners bet on this but nothing at this time,’ said Francavilla. Officers say their goal was to lose weight but some told me they just wanted to tone up. This is the first year of the weight loss challenge but this isn't new to police departments at all. Matter of fact, officers and health experts told me this is something several of them do every year.”

http://www.kptm.com/Global/story.asp?S=9619613

No comments: