Finding The Right Weight-Loss Program Is Essential
If your child is at an unhealthy, or even dangerous weight, and weight-loss efforts at home aren't successful, you may want to try a professional weight-loss program. The Cleveland Clinic offers the following recommendations when choosing a child's weight-loss program:
• The program should employ an array of health professionals, including physicians, dietitians, psychiatrists and exercise physiologists.
• Your child's overall health should be evaluated before any weight-loss program begins.
• The program should include the entire family, rather than focusing only on the child.
• Look for a program that is geared specifically for your child's age group and has different programs based on age.
• Programs should focus on behavioral changes, teaching how to choose healthy foods in variety and portion size, and promoting physical activity.