Exercise is a challenge for many people, but there are even more potential pitfalls for diabetics. The American Diabetes Association offers these suggestions to help diabetics who exercise:
• Figure out how exercise affects your blood glucose. Always measure it before and after you exercise.
• If your blood glucose is high before exercising, it may go even higher. Be cautious about exercising in this condition.
• Exercising for a long time, or exercising very strenuously, could also lead to low blood glucose. This might happen immediately or a while after you exercise, so be prepared.
• If you have low blood glucose when you are ready to exercise, try having a snack or adjusting your medication in consultation with your doctor.
• Keep water and a snack -- a carbohydrate is best -- on hand while you exercise