Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lewis Telethon Raises Record $65 Million For MDA

Jerry Lewis raised a record $65 million for the Muscular Dystrophy Association in his annual Labor Day telethon, a benefit that also made a pitch for those inconvenienced by Hurricane Gustav. This year's 22-hour telethon added a special plea for MDA-registered families forced to leave their homes because of the hurricane, which made landfall Monday in Louisiana. The storm affected nearly 5,000 MDA families needing services in their new location, the organization said. Lewis also urged viewers to contribute to the Salvation Army's emergency disaster services. The 2008 haul for the 43rd annual fundraising blitz was $1.2 million more than last year's total. Lewis said he was prepared not to exceed the 2007 number because of the sluggish economy. ‘Each year I tell myself, 'This has got to be it. There's no way we can do better.' Then, the following year, I'm astounded to see that generosity driven by love and compassion has a greater capacity than I thought possible,’ Lewis said. ‘I am awed and humbled by this response.’

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5Vc1I2LF4lKq52XHwiK1ciFf0hgD92UEV1O0

No comments: