“Yoga has become a very popular form of relaxation and exercise. But as with any physical activity, you can still injure yourself if you don't prepare and practice properly. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions to reduce your risk of injury from yoga:
· Check with your doctor before beginning yoga to be sure it's safe for you.
· Make sure your yoga studio offers qualified instructors. Always ask questions of your instructor if you're not sure how to perform a pose.
· Be sure to warm up before yoga to prevent strains and injuries.
· Wear yoga-appropriate clothing that won't restrict your movement.
· Start out slowly learning the basics. Never push yourself to the point of pain.
· Drink lots of fluids, particularly if you try Bikram ("hot") yoga.”